10 Mistakes People Make with Rookies (plus 1 bonus)
10 Mistakes People Make with Rookies (plus 1 bonus):
1. Think they (the rookies) don't need help (they do; they're rookies).
2. Refuse to give them help (or withhold it).
3. Feel threatened because they (rookies) have strengths that they (old timers) don't have (improve yourself).
4. Undermine them because they're worried about losing their own position.
5. Don't recognize the fear a rookie might have (try to ease it).
6. Forget the "learning curve" when they (rookies) make a mistake.
7. Stew when they do well/are successful (rejoice with them).
8. Let them "twist in the wind" when they do fail (encourage them instead).
9. Are afraid they might be replaced by the "rookie" (there comes a time when we all must bow out/retire gracefully).
10. Overlook how you just never know if it will be the rookie that plays a crucial part in their own (old timers) success and moving forward.
BONUS Forget they were once a rookie, too.
by Mike C (aka blog boy)
You might also be interested in: