10 Mistakes People Make with Mental Illness (plus 1 bonus)
10 Mistakes People Make with Mental Illness (plus 1 bonus):
1. Overlook that mental illness exists.
2. Overlook that mental illness exists in someone they know(?).
3. Don't realize there are different levels of mental illness (some does not rise to crisis level / need emergency intervention).
4. Are not clear on the definition of mental illness: "any of various disorders in which a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior are so abnormal as to cause suffering to himself, herself, or other people." (dictionary.com)
5. Confuse mental illness with personal responsibility/choice (mental illness does not necessarily negate personal responsibility/choice).
6. Invest in behavior that reinforces mental illness (e.g. drinking, drug abuse).
7. Forget how positive influences contribute to mental wellness.
8. Forget how negative influences contribute to mental illness (cut that stuff and those relationships out of your life).
9. Overlook the calming, healing effect of certain types of music (e.g. classical).
10. Get angry with those that would suggest their need for help with mental illness (rather than submitting).
BONUS Claim mental illness as an excuse to get away with "murder" ( I am using "murder" here in a figurative sense).
(Picture via alachuacounty / CC BY 2.0)
by Mike C (aka blog boy)
You might also be interested in: